Celebrate Mother’s Day with Maxwell & Williams’ Teas & C’s collection – the perfect gift for the tea, coffee or cake lover in your life. This collection features cups & saucers, teapots, cake stands and a variety of accessories to complete your table setting.
Surprise mum with this modern take on high tea - served on Teas & C’s. Arrange cushions and throws around a low table and start things off with a favourite tea blend. Complete the scene with exotic treats like these delicious Rosewater & Cardamom biscuits.
Prep 2 hours and 30 minutes
Cook 15 minutes
Makes 40-50 small biscuits
- 225g salted butter, at room temp
- 198g granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temp
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 360g plain purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 6 cardamom pods
- 200g icing sugar
- 1 tsp rose water
- ½ lemon, juiced
- Chopped pistachios
- Dried rose petals
To make the biscuits:
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C for fan forced).
- Using an electric mixer in a large bowl, cream butter and sugar
- Add egg and mix until completely incorporated, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Add vanilla.
- Using a mortar and pestle, work the cardamom pods to get the seeds out. Discard the pods and grind the seeds to a fine powder.
- In a separate bowl sift flour, baking powder and ground cardamom. With mixer on low, add to butter mixture in small batches until just combined. The dough should hold together easily but not be sticky or dry and crumbly.
- Transfer dough to work surface and divide in half, shaping into flattened discs. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for least 1 hour or overnight. Dough should be cool but not cold. Rest at room temperature for at least 30 minutes.
- Roll dough out to 1cm thickness on a lightly floured surface.
- Cut dough into desired shapes and place on baking trays lined with baking paper with at least 2cm space between each.
- Bake, rotating oven tray halfway through, until biscuits are crisp and lightly golden at the edges, approximately 10 to 15 minutes. Transfer biscuits to a wire rack to cool completely.
To make the icing:
- Combine all of the ingredients to form a thick paste. The mixture needs to be thick to stop it dripping down the sides, so add more icing sugar, if necessary to thicken it up.
- Spread a teaspoon of icing onto each biscuit and sprinkle with the chopped pistachios and dried rose petals. Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.