Vanilla Bean Butter (and your new favourite kitchen innovation...!)
Posted By: Maxwell & Williams on 22 Oct 2017
This year’s most loved kitchen innovation is a gadget the French have kept in their kitchens for nearly half a century. Making its way across the Pacific and Atlantic, cloches de beurre (butter keepers) are about to become an Australian household favourite.
A surprisingly traditional method of keeping butter, butter keepers have stood the test of time by delivering soft, creamy and spreadable butter every time. Simply fill the lid with your butter of choice, then add fresh cool water every few days.
So say au revoir to cold butter and bonjour to perfect toast, grilled cheese and baked goods!
Vanilla Bean Butter
Add a luxurious touch to Sunday breakfast with a new twist on an old favourite. Ingredients:
- 250g butter, cubed
- 1 tablespoon vanilla bean syrup
- 1 tablespoon icing sugar
- Salt, to taste
- Place butter into a mixing bowl and beat on high for 2 minutes or until soft. Add in vanilla bean paste, icing sugar and a generous pinch of salt. Beat for a further 30 seconds or until well combined.
- Place a 45cm length of cling wrap on a clean bench. Using a spatula, dollop butter onto the centre of the cling wrap and fold over the butter. Using your hand, gently push back on the butter to form a cylinder.
- Gently roll towards yourself to create a roll. Twist and secure ends of the cling wrap to create a firm roll. Place in freezer until firm and slice as needed.
This butter will last up to three months in the freezer, or up to two weeks in the fridge.
Croissants a la Plancha
A European classic, croissants a la Plancha are a perfect solution for croissants on their second day. This is a snack for the truly indulgent. Ingredients:
- 8 tablespoons vanilla bean butter
- 1 croissant split (day old preferred)
- Orange marmalade, to serve
- Icing sugar, to serve
- Heat a large non-stick pan with a small amount of butter. Brown the croissants cut sides down and turn to brown outer sides.
- Plate the croissants cut sides up and dust with powdered sugar. Serve with orange marmalade and soft and spreadable vanilla bean butter. Store leftover butter in your Maxwell & Williams butter keeper.