Your new favourite cupcake recipe with Vicki Valsamis
Our friend and all-round lady legend @vickivalsamis_foodstylist created these decadent Vanilla Bean Cupcakes for us to share with you! Not only do they taste incredible but they’re the perfect partner to our Royal Botanic Gardens Victoria x Katherine Castle Garden Friends collection.
Vanilla Bean Cupcakes
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
For the cupcakes
- 1 ¾ cups self-raising flour
- 2/3 cup caster sugar
- 125g butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
For the buttercream
- 125g butter, room temperature
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 cup assorted berries
- 2 tbs freeze dried berries*
- Assorted edible flowers*
- Preheat oven to 180°C and line a 12-hole medium muffin tray with cupcake cases.
- Place self-raising flour and caster sugar in a large bowl.
- Whisk melted butter, eggs, milk, buttermilk, vanilla extract and vanilla bean paste in a bowl. Pour into dry ingredients and stir to combine.
- Divide batter into cupcake cases. Place in oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, place butter and icing sugar into the bowl of an electric mixer. Beat for 2 minutes on high, add milk and beat for a further 3 minutes or until buttercream is light and fluffy.
- Remove cupcakes from oven and transfer onto wire rack to cool.
- Using a spoon, place a dollop of buttercream on each cupcake and decorate with fresh and freeze-dried berries. Garnish with edible flowers and serve.
* Freeze dried berries can be found in the health food section of the supermarket
* Edible flowers can be found at some greengrocers and speciality food shops