The Pavlova Recipe You’ve Been Waiting For!
Your carefully set table has long surpassed starters and has since become somewhat of a beautiful mess, littered with all the signs of clinking, sharing, pouring and many a story told. Incoming is the hero dessert, the irresistible stacked pav, sure to keep the party going well into the afternoon and beyond!
This festive recipe has been created in celebration of Maxwell & Williams newly launched Poinsettia servingware and napery collection, pictured here atop the footed cake-stand and cotton apron.
Pavlova with Whipped Cream & Berries
Prep time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 60-80 mins
For the meringue:
- 4 large egg whites
- 1/2 tsp white wine vinegar or lemon juice
- 225 g (1 cup) caster sugar
For the garnish:
- 350 ml (1 1⁄2 cups) heavy cream
- 1⁄4 tsp vanilla bean
- 125 g fresh raspberries
- 125g fresh strawberries
- Icing sugar & cocoa to dust
- Edible leaves/flowers
- Preheat oven to 125°C. Line baking trays with baking paper.
- Using an electric mixer or stand mixer whisk egg whites and white wine vinegar/lemon juice until frothy. Gradually add in the sugar, whisk until meringue is smooth, glossy & holds stiff peaks.
- Spread mixture into three equally sized rounds on the prepared baking sheet.
- Place in the oven and lower the temperature to 100°C. Bake for 60-80 minutes (or until meringues look crisp and no longer stick to the paper). Turn off the oven, leave the door ajar and let meringues cool completely in the oven.
- Whip cream & vanilla bean until soft peaks hold. Place a small dollop of cream in the centre of the cake stand to stop meringue from sliding around. Place the first meringue disc on a cake stand. Spread with a third of the cream, dust with cocoa powder.
- Place the second disc on top, then spread with another third of the cream. Lightly dust with cocoa powder.
- Place the third disc on top & add the remaining cream.
Dust with cocoa powder & icing sugar. Decorate with berries & edible flowers, if desired.