Mango & Almond Lamingtons with Birdsong
There are a few dishes that hold a special place in the hearts of all Australians and lamingtons are one of them. Experiment with modern flavours and create a new mouth-watering combination with this twist on an Australian classic.
Add an extra touch of Australian charm to this dish by serving it on our Cashmere Birdsong range featuring beautiful native bird designs created by Queensland-based wildlife artist Katherine Castle.
Mango & Almond Lamingtons:
Prep time: 70 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
- 2/3 cup (60g) desiccated coconut
- 1 cup (70g) almond meal
- 1 cup (150g) plain flour
- 2 cups (300g) icing sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 8 egg whites
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- Finely grated zest of 1 orange
- 250g unsalted butter, melted, cooled
- 2½ cups (625ml) boiling water
- 2 cups (140g) shredded coconut
- 1 large mango, sliced and skin removed*
- 85g packet mango jelly crystals
- 200ml thickened cream, lightly whipped
- 100g mango jam
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan forced) and grease 12 holes in a friand pan.
- Place the desiccated coconut, almond meal, flour, icing sugar and baking powder in a processor and pulse a few times to combine and remove any lumps.
- Place eggwhites in the bowl of an electric mixer and whisk very lightly until frothy. Softly fold in the vanilla bean paste. Add the dry ingredients, orange zest and butter, then gently stir to combine.
- Divide mix among the friand tray and bake for 20 minutes or until light golden brown and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Cool slightly in the trays, then invert onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, process flesh of one mango until smooth. In a separate bowl, combine jelly crystals with 2 1/2 cups (625ml) boiling water, stirring to dissolve crystals. Stir in 2/3 cup of mango pulp. Chill mixture for 40 minutes or until jelly is the consistency of egg whites.
- Trim the tops of the friands to give a flat surface. Dip cakes in jelly then toss in coconut. Cut each cake in half through the centre, then fill with cream and mango jam. Serve.
*Substitute with a tinned variety if fresh are not available