Israeli-style breakfast eggs
Posted By: Maxwell & Williams
Spice up your morning routine with these Israeli-style poached eggs. Created by celebrity chef Sara Oteri, the recipe uses an array of herbs and spices to create a mouth-watering brunch dish.
- 4 organic eggs, room temperature
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup greek yoghurt
- 1 tsp cumin, toasted
- Tomatoes, room temperature and sliced into rounds
- 1 bunch of dill
- Crunchy toasted bread
- Sumac (optional)
Smokey chilli butter
- 50g salted butter
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- Pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- Pinch of salt
- Bring a medium sized pot filled with water to the boil before reducing the temperature to low and adding the vinegar.
- I like to crack my eggs in a fine mesh sieve before transferring to a small bowl. This removes the liquidly whites that give poached eggs those whispery bits.
- Gently drop the eggs into the gently simmering water and cook for 3 minutes.
- Remove each with a slotted spoon and place on a plate with paper towels.
- Place the butter in a small pan until it just begins to brown and become darker in colour. Add paprika and cayenne pepper and set aside.
- To serve, spread some greek yoghurt onto each plate with a sprinkling of cumin seeds. Top with freshly cut tomatoes, poached eggs and drizzle over the burnt butter.
- Garnish with fresh dill, a sprinkling of sumac on each egg and of course crunchy toast.