Create a hero ham for Easter
Think a lovely, glazed ham is just for Christmas? Think again! The warming, spice-filled flavours and aroma of this ham are perfect for an Easter feast.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 2 hours and 45 minutes
- 2.5-3kg ham
- 1 orange, cut in half
- 1 small pineapple, cut lengthways into 8ths
- 1 cup leatherwood honey
- 1 cup soft brown sugar
- 300ml freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
Pre-heat oven to 180°C (fan-forced)
- Score rind around knuckle of ham. Run fingers between rind and fat to gently separate. Dispose of rind and wrap the exposed rind around the knuckle with foil to protect from burning.
- Using a knife, gently score fat in diagonal lines in one direction, followed by the other to create a diamond pattern.
- Place ham into your rectangular baker along with orange and pineapple pieces.
- Place honey, soft brown sugar, orange juice, star anise and cinnamon stick into a medium sized saucepan and bring to the boil, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until mixture is reduced down by a third. Transfer into a mixing bowl and allow to cool for 15 minutes.
- Using a pastry brush, baste ham and fruit liberally with glaze and roast in oven for 1 hour. Repeat basting and bake for a further 15 minutes. Repeat step three times. Remove from oven and allow to cool a little.
- Transfer ham to a serving platter (we used our Samba oval platter). Remove foil from around knuckle and wrap with baking paper, ribbon and florals or herbs.
- Serve warm or allow to cool completely and store in fridge.
Recipe created by Vicki Valsamis
Samba Samba Mango Wood Serving Board 38x20cm$39.95
Epicurious Epicurious Tea Towel 50x70cm Set of 2 Teal$14.95
Epicurious Epicurious Rectangular Baker 32x22.5x7cm Teal Gift Boxed$39.95
White Basics White Basics Mixing Bowl 18cm 1L$14.95
White Basics White Basics Mixing Bowl 21cm 1.5L$19.95