A Fresh Mother's Day Menu with Seed & Leaf
These shareable recipes have been built with Mum's special day in mind and introduce subtle, fragrant flavours. Relax into the afternoon with bite sized savoury tartlets and thyme infused sweets along with a refreshing elderflower gin cocktail.
Shown here beautifully plated on Maxwell & Williams crisp and contemporary Seed & Leaf collection featuring delicate cut-outs and soft embossing.
Made for gifting and sharing food, these porcelain plates and dishes come in various shapes and sizes to elevate the simplest afternoon tea into an experience to remember. Eat, drink and be (rose)-merry!
Savoury Filo Tartlets
Serves: 4 Prep: 30mins Cook: 30mins
For the filling:
- Red onions, cut into wedges
- 50g butter, melted
- 12 button mushrooms, cut into wedges
- 1 small garlic clove, chopped
- Thyme leaves
- Olive oil to drizzle
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the tart cases:
- 375g frozen filo pastry
- 100g butter, melted
- 150g Persian feta, crumbled
- Thyme sprigs to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C for fan forced).
- Place red onion wedges onto a baking paper lined oven tray. Drizzle with olive oil and season to taste. Place in oven and roast for approximately 15 minutes, until soft and cooked, but still maintaining their purple colour. Set aside to cool.
- Melt butter in a large frying pan over a medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, garlic and thyme, sauté for approximately 5 minutes, until golden and cooked. Season to taste with salt and pepper and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, prepare the filo tart cases. Using a pastry brush, brush some of the melted butter into a 12 cup muffin pan. Gently remove filo sheets from the packet, lay flat on a clean benchtop and cover with a tea towel.
- Remove 1 sheet of the filo pastry from the pile and place on to the benchtop in front of you. Brush the entire sheet with the melted butter using a pastry brush. Working quickly, gently lay another sheet of the filo pastry on top and brush with melted butter. Repeat the process until you have 6 layers of filo pastry coated in butter.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the entire filo sheet into 8 squares. Place the cut squares into the cup of muffin tin. Brush with any remaining melted butter.
- Fill each muffin tin with the filo squares. Place the muffin tray into your warmed oven and bake for 10–12 minutes or until golden and crispy.
- Remove from oven and set aside to cool slightly. When cool enough to handle remove each filo muffin cup from tray and place on a cooling rack.
To assemble your tarts:
Select a filo tart case, handling gently as the pastry will be fragile. Place a spoonful of sautéed mushroom mix and a wedge of the roasted onion in the case. Crumble some Persian feta over the top and garnish with a sprig of thyme. Repeat until all cases are filled. Drizzle with a little olive oil and serve on a large plate or platter.
Lemon & Thyme Bars
Serves: 12 Prep: 20mins Cook: 60mins
For the crust:
- 225g unsalted butter, room temperature
- ½ cup caster sugar
- 2 cups plain flour
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme, finely chopped
- ¼ tsp salt
For the lemon layer:
- 7 large eggs
- 2 ½ cups sugar
- 3 tbsp lemon zest, grated
- 1 cup lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 cup plain flour
For the lemon glaze:
- 2 cups icing sugar
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice, apx. 2 lemons
- Fresh thyme sprigs to garnish
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced)
- To make the crust, cream the butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer until light. Reduce mixer speed to low and add flour, thyme and salt, mixing until just combined into a rough dough.
- With floured hands, gather the dough into a ball and place in the baking tray. Flatten and press into a greased 20 x 30cm baking pan to create a base. Chill in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Remove from refrigerator and bake the crust for 15 to 20 minutes, until very lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack, leaving the oven on.
- To make the lemon layer, whisk together eggs, sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, and flour. Pour over the cooled crust and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the filling is set. Cool to room temperature.
- To make the lemon glaze, whisk together icing sugar and lemon juice. Add more or less sugar and/or juice for desired consistency. Pour glaze over lemon bars and spread with a spatula to cover evenly. Allow the glaze to set for at least 20-30 minutes.
- Cut into squares and garnish with fresh thyme. Serve on your favourite Maxwell & Williams Seed & Leaf platter.
Elderflower Gin Cocktail
Serves: 4 Prep: 10mins
- Ice cubes
- 1 pink grapefruit
- A few juniper berries
- 4 rosemary sprigs
- 240ml good quality gin (60ml double nip per cocktail)
- 60ml elderflower cordial
- 600ml tonic water
- Chill your favourite drinking glass prior to serving. Add ice to the glass.
- Segment your grapefruit. Squeeze the juice out from the remaining membrane with your hand and split between the glasses.
- Add grapefruit slices, juniper berries, and a rosemary sprig to each glass.
- Pour 60ml gin into each glass. Add the cordial and tonic then stir before drinking.
To make this cocktail a non-alcoholic version, simply omit the gin for a delicious mocktail.