5 Tips on Creating Your Christmas Style, Your Way
At Christmas, I like to play around by layering colours and textures – layering your dinnerware is a really dramatic technique, whether it's mixing light blues with a touch of gold or white or keeping it simple with pops of classic red and green between crisp whites.
Get creative with textures by layering cloth napkins between the plates and tying them with string, cotton or ribbon. This presents beautifully and continues the Christmas theme of unwrapping!
My top five tips for Christmas table setting are:
1. Pick a theme – When you’re first thinking about staging your Christmas table you must select a theme. This could be based on a colour scheme or a theme based on your menu. For example if it’s a seafood menu look for those pieces that tie back to that.
2. Atmosphere – Are you going the casual alfresco way or something a little more formal with everyone seated around a table? Remember this is one of the days of the year that you have everyone together so bring some theatre into it with floral arrangements, candles or centrepieces.
3. Place settings – Create individual place settings as they always have so much more impact and you can make something really special and beautiful.
4. Servingware – Use the cutlery that your menu requires. You might not want to have to reuse forks or knives or wash up halfway through.
5. Glassware – It’s really important to choose your glassware to correspond with the wine choices of your menu – and don’t forget the water glasses! The Mansion stemless are very good to use here.
Most of all, have fun – be prepared, so that once your guests arrive you can relax and be present with them instead of rushing around getting things ready.