Spaghetti with Tomato, Bacon, Mint & Capers on our Cashmere Midnight Rain Dinner Set
Autumn is the perfect time to try this delicious Italian inspired pasta dish created by Katie Quinn Davies of What Katie Ate.
- Light olive oil for cooking
- 4 plump garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 small brown onion, peeled and finely diced
- 500g vine tomatoes
- Pinch of salt
- Leaves from 6 stalks of mint roughly torn
- ⅓ cup plump capers (in vinegar)
- 200g free-range bacon, excess fat removed and meat cut into small pieces
- 400g dried spaghetti
- Parmesan cheese to serve
1. Into a large non-stick frying pan, add 1 tablespoon of light olive oil and warm over medium heat. Add onion and cook for 2-3 minutes then add the bacon. Fry with the onions for a further 4-5 minutes stirring often until bacon is golden brown and crispy. Remove contents of pan and allow any excess oil to drain on a paper towel.
2. Add another 2 tablespoons of light olive oil into a large frying pan and warm over medium heat. Using the back of a knife, slightly crush the garlic cloves and add to the oil in the pan toss in the oil for a few minutes, stirring often until lightly browned then remove and discard (this infuses the garlic into the oil).
3. Cut each tomato in half and squeeze out the juice and seeds into a bowl and discard. Chop tomatoes into bite-sized pieces and add to the oil along with a good pinch of salt. Simmer over low-medium heat for 5-6 minutes. Return the cooked bacon and onion to the pan along with the capers and mint, combine well and simmer for a final 5-6 minutes.
4. Half-fill a large pot with water, add a glug of olive oil and a good pinch of salt, bring to the boil then add the dried spaghetti and cook over high-heat for 10 minutes or until al-dente.
5. Add cooked spaghetti to the frying pan along with 2-3 tablespoons of the pasta water, toss everything together then serve hot with grated Parmesan cheese.
Complement this dish by serving on our Maxwell & Williams Cashmere Midnight Rain Dinner set with some fresh bread and olive oil.