Easter Hot Cross Buns on our Artisan Boards
Create these delicious Hot Cross Buns as a surprise treat for your loved ones, or enlist your friends and family to make them with you over the Easter break!
A perfect Easter treat, these are great for Breakfast, enjoyed with your afternoon tea or even packed for school lunches.
- 4 cups plain flour
- 2 x 7g sachets dried yeast
- ¼ cup caster sugar
- 1 ½ tsp mixed spice
- Pinch of salt
- 1 ½ cups ofcurrants
- 40g butter
- 300ml milk
- 2 eggs ,lightly beaten
- ½ cup plain flour
- 4 to 5 tbsp water
- ⅓ cup water
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
1. Combine flour, yeast, sugar, mixed spice, salt and currants in a large bowl. Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat and add milk. Continue to heat until lukewarm – approximately 1 minute. Add warm mixture, eggs and current mixture together. Use a flat-bladed knife to mix, once mixture is combined, use clean hands to finish mixing to form soft dough.
2. Place the mixture onto a floured surface and knead for 10 minutes until dough is smooth. Cover mixture with plastic wrap and set aside in a warm place for 1 to 1 ½ hours, or until dough doubles in size.
3. Preheat oven to 190°C or 170°C fan-force. Line a large baking tray with non-stick baking paper. Punch dough down to its original size and knead for 30 seconds on the lightly floured surface until smooth. Divide into 12 even portions, shaping each portion into a ball before placing each one onto the lined tray, about 1cm apart. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside in a warm, draught-free place for 30 minutes.
Flour Paste Method
1. Mix flour and water together in a small bowl until smooth, adding a little more water if paste is too thick. Spoon the mixture into a small snap-lock bag and snip off 1 corner of bag. Pipe the flour paste over the tops of buns to form crosses. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until buns are cooked through.
1. Place water and sugar into a small saucepan over low heat. Stir until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil and boil for 3-4minutes. Brush warm glaze over warm hot cross buns.
Hot Cross Buns are best served warm not long after baking and with a spread of butter. You can also freeze for up to 7 days if you are prepping in advance.